Skip to content

Make extra contributions

When deciding how much you can afford to contribute, it’s important to be aware of the annual caps set by the government, as you may be liable for extra tax if you contribute too much.

Use your cap by 30 June

From 1 July 2021, you can carry forward your unused portion of your concessional contributions cap over a rolling five-year period. The concessional contributions cap is $27,500 per financial year.

For example, if you didn’t use your entire $27,500 cap in the last financial year, you may be able to contribute the difference this year. To qualify, you must have had less than $500,000 in super as at the end of the previous financial year.

We recommend you take the time to consider and monitor your concessional contributions to ensure they do not exceed the $27,500 annual cap as tax penalties apply if the cap is exceeded.

If you have more than one super fund, all your concessional contributions are counted towards your concessional contributions cap. You can check your unused concessional contributions cap through your MyGov account or by contacting the ATO.

What are concessional contributions?

Concessional (before-tax) contributions include employer contributions, salary sacrifice contributions, as well as contributions you have made and claimed a tax deduction on.

Personal contributions and claiming a tax deduction

You can choose to make personal contributions to your super and claim a tax deduction. If you wish to claim a tax deduction, you must complete a Notice of intent to claim or vary a deduction for personal super contributions and send it to us to notify us of your intention to claim a deduction.

If you intend to do this, you must do so before you lodge your tax return or before the end of the financial year following the contribution year (whichever comes first).

Other tax opportunities

Low-income tax offset

If you earn income up to $37,000, you may be able to receive a refund of contributions tax paid on your concessional contributions of up to $500. This refund is called the low-income super tax offset (LISTO) and it means you’ll effectively pay reduced tax on your super contributions. You do not need to do anything to receive this offset, the ATO will generally make LISTO payments directly into your super account.

Super Guarantee co-contributions

If you’ve made personal (after-tax) contributions to your super fund, the government will make a contribution (called a co-contribution) up to a maximum amount of $500.

You don't need to apply for the super co-contribution. When you lodge your tax return, the ATO will work out if you're eligible and will pay the co-contribution directly to your super account.

You may be eligible for the super co-contribution if you earn between $41,112 and $56,112 over the 2021-22 financial and have made after-tax contributions of up to $1,000.

Salary sacrifice (before-tax contributions)

Salary sacrifice means instead of receiving your pay in full, you arrange to have some of your pay invested directly into your super fund on your behalf.


The contribution is taken out of your pay before income tax is deducted, so you will pay less tax on your income.

As salary sacrifice is not offered by all employers, ask yours if they offer a salary sacrifice option. If your employer doesn’t allow this, you can instead make after-tax contributions and advise us of your intent to claim a tax deduction on the contributions.

Voluntary (after-tax) contributions

You can choose to make voluntary (after-tax) contributions to your super in addition to what your employer contributes. Voluntary (after-tax) contributions, which you pay out of after-tax income, are a good way to top up your super.


There are three easy ways to make voluntary contributions to your Club Plus Super account:

  • BPAY®: call Club Plus Super on 1800 680 627 or log in to MemberAccess for your BPAY biller code and reference number.
  • Direct debit: complete the Direct Debit Authority Form and Club Plus Super will deduct regular amounts from your nominated bank account and invest it in your super account.
  • Payroll deduction: complete a Payroll Deduction Authority Form and give it to your employer. This will allow your employer to deduct nominated amounts from your pay and remit it to the fund.

We're here to help

While your super is designed to become one of your biggest assets by the time you retire, it’s important to consider your situation before making a decision. We offer personal guidance about your super inside the fund at no extra cost – this is a benefit of membership. For assistance, call 1800 680 627 between 8am and 6pm AEST, Monday to Friday. Alternatively, you can submit an enquiry or discuss your options with your local member services manager.